You are here

Home » Mosques Ichan-Kala in Khiva. Monuments of architecture of the Khivan oasis.

Bagbanly mosque.

Excursions on a mosques Ichan-kala in Khiva.

Baghbanly mosque is located in the southeastern part of Ichan-Qala. According to the inscription in verse on a stone plate at the entrance the mosque was built in 1809 (1224 Hijra) where shown the name of the master Pakhlavan - Quli as well, who designed the building.
The composition of the Baghbanli reminds one very much of the Ak-Mechet with only one difference, that the latter has an aivan on three sides. The harmonic combination of the open space with a yard, which has a half-open aivan and closed hall, gives the mosque Baghbanli completeness and steadiness.
And the decorative elements of this quarter-mosque show the beauty of tradition of the Khorezm school of architecture once more. Unlike the magnificent mosques, the neighborhood houses of worship are of smaller size, but are as striking in their use of space and splendid decorations.
In the neighborhood mosque Bagbanly, built in the southern part of Ichan-kala at the beginning of the nineteenth century, one finds an example of this. The mosque is a building of symmetrical composition, where there is a darvazakhana, yard, aivan and mosque hall on the longitudinal axis north south.
The entrance consists of three parts. There is a cupola-topped building in the center. On the sides of it there are rooms for ritual washing (tokharatkhana). The mosque represents a rectangular hall with a two- pillared aivan opened to the north.
A cupola tops the hall. Coloured overlay and a carved door decorate the facade of the darvazakhana. The interior is plastered. The decorated ceiling of the aivan is covered by patterns. The wooden pillars, apparently, were brought here from another building.
Their decoration, similar to the pillars of the sixteenth century from Jumah mosque suggests this idea. There are many scripts of nastalikh type in the interior of the hall, on the walls of the aivan and on the doors, giving verses, the date of construction - 1809 - and the name of the master, Ruz Muhammad.
The original-figured capitals soften the change of vertical pillar to horizontal beams. On the doors the name of other master is inscripted, the woodcarver – Ruz Muhammad the son of Adin Muhammad who carved the doors leading to the ziyarat-khana (pilgrimage room) of the mausoleum of Sheikh Mukhtar-Valy in the village of Astana of the Yangiarik district.
The legend says that the mosque was built on the money donated by two brothers-gardeners. Mosque rectangular shape, has a two-column columned aivan (terrace) and domed wintertime  room. 
Carved wooden columns of the aivan (terrace) are of art value and decor of the columns remind the patterns of Juma Mosque.

Authority:
http://welcomeuzbekistan.uz