You are here

Home » Balkan region in Turkmenistan. Natural and administrative sights Turkmenistan.

Turkmenbashi town.

Sights of the towwn of the Turkmenbashi in Turkmenistan.

Türkmenbaşy (Turkmenbashi), formerly known as Krasnovodsk and Kyzyl-Su, is a city in Balkan Province in Turkmenistan, on the Krasnovodsk Gulf of the Caspian Sea. It sits at an elevation of 27 metres (89 feet).
The population (est 2004) was 86,800, mostly ethnic Russians, Armenians and Azeris. As the terminus of the Trans-Caspian Railway, it was an important transportation center. The port city Turkmenbashi (formerly Krasnovodsk) is the only one large port in whole Central Asia, providing a link with European countries.
Surrounded on the east by the crescent of low mountains, in the west it looks in the turquoise-blue waters of the Caspian Sea. The surrounding desert landscape looks more like a moon landscape.
Most excursions into the mountains and the coastal resort towns begin from this dusty, and even somewhat sleepy town. The coast of the Caspian Sea is famous for its wonderful sandy beaches, clean, crystal water, abundance of sea flora and fauna, which allows to enjoy water kinds of sport.
City of Khazar and the suburb of Turkmenbashi – Awaza, the health resort, in the  sanatoriums and preventoriums prophylactic  events of different kinds of pneumonia, are more popular among the vacationers.
There is also a number of coastal tourism recreation centers. The beautiful subtropical zone of the country - Sumbar valley with green trees and the famous oak-old in the village Garrygala is located in Balkan province.
In 1717, Russian Prince Alexander Bekovich-Cherkassky landed and established a secret fortified settlement on this location, where the dry bed of a former mouth of the Amu-Darya River once emptied into the Caspian Sea.
His intent was to march an army up this dry riverbed and conquer the Khanate of Khiva. The expedition failed, and the Russians abandoned the settlement for over 150 years. In 1869, the Russians invaded a second time.
They named their fort Krasnovodsk (Красноводск), which is the Russian version of the original name, Kyzyl-Su (Red Water). Krasnovodsk was Imperial Russia's base of operations against Khiva and Bukhara, and the nomadic Turkmen tribes.
The railway had originally begun from Uzun-Ada on the Caspian Sea, but the terminus was shifted north to the harbour at Krasnovodsk. It fell to the Red Army in February, 1920. November 21, 1939 was formed Krasnovodsk Oblast with the administrative center in Krasnovodsk, she repeatedly liquidated and restored (January 23, 1947 liquidated; April 4, 1952 restored; December 9, 1955 liquidated; December 27, 1973 restored; August 25, 1988 eliminated).
January 10, 1991 in the former Krasnovodsk region formed Balkan Region (May 18, 1992 - velayat) with the center in Balkanabat. In 1993, Krasnovodsk was renamed by President for Life Saparmurat Niyazov, after his self-proclaimed title Türkmenbaşy ("Leader of all Turkmen").
Second President of Turkmenistan Gurbanguly Berdimuhamedow pledged, in July 2007, to invest one billion dollars into a project slated to turn Türkmenbaşy into a major tourist resort – the center of the Awaza tourist zone with 60 modern hotels to be built along a 16 km (10 mi) stretch of the Caspian Sea shoreline. 
The Türkmenbaşy city has two modern hotels - Türkmenbashi Hotel and Charlak Hotel and old soviet Hazar Hotel. In recent years, the city made large-scale reconstruction historic district, entrance roads, vital infrastructure. 
A new Turkish Park and the cascade of fountains. By the end of 2012 Magtymguly Avenue had been completely renovated , the new route merged with the city's waterfront Bahry Hazar, providing the west motorway junction Balykçy double out of the city along the dike, paved across the Soymonov bay speed motorway Turkmenbashi Airport - Awaza. 
In 2014, the Oilworkers Palace of Culture, which was built in 1951, was renovated The city housed the State Service of Maritime and River Transport of Turkmenistan, part of the Government of Turkmenistan.
In July 2013 as part of the city of Turkmenbashi was created two etraps - Avaza Etrap and Kenar Etrap. In Avaza Etrap, an area of 9660 hectares and includes the national tourist zone Awaza, Turkmenbashi International Airport and a few small towns.
In Kenar Etrap, an area of 7262 hectares, entered the main part of the city of Turkmenbashi and the territory of the village of Kenar.

Authority:
On materials of information department of the State committee of Turkmenistan on tourism and sport.